Re: [teacherartexchange] WSJ Article

---------

From: Barbara Marder (marder621_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2010 - 09:12:16 PDT

Wow this topic has really got the wheels rolling.

Funny about being liberal-I live in one of the most liberal communities in the USA, and my school is about 6 blocks from Harvard Square (Cambridge, MA) and that is SO liberal it is sometimes dubbed "The Peoples Republic" of Cambridge.

I am liberal minded. I devoted an entire term this past school year with my 6th graders focusing on the art of Nam June Paik. I even took the entire 6th grade to view a sculptural installation of his work. It was Nam June Paik who had the view that painting was dead, and that was close to 40 years ago. The 6th graders did not agree (interesting they embraced painting as very much alive), but they did love Nam June Paik and the art-making that came out of the unit was a video project. Of course I structured the unit so that the students would be engaged in creating something tangible (the video) and that they would also come away with some enduring understandings.

Perhaps it was Marcel Duchamp who taunted us to consider what art is when he placed his famous urinal in the gallery show.

But all this discussion brings me around to considering what the curriculum limits, if any, should be in my urban K-8 public school.

An 8th grader, who sometimes has a surly attitude across the board, came into my classroom, began a drawing, tore it up, crumbled the remains and dumped it into the trash before I could intervene. Now you have no work to hand in for me, I said. Okay well here it is he said as he retrieved the crumbled mass from the trash.

In a softer voice I suggested he try again and if he became frustrated, we could discuss what he was drawing before he destroyed it. The work that had been destroyed was not conceptual art-it was a failed attempt (at least in that student's eyes) that might have lead to a real problem with behavior had I continued to make an issue of it.

In my experience with the age and population of my students, guidelines are needed and wanted and expectations need to identified clearly and concisely.

Not making art is not an option.

Expressions about social issues from the art room some how need to involve art. That is where I (sorry for the pun) draw the line.

Barbara from Boston