Re: [teacherartexchange] WSJ Article

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2010 - 08:23:58 PDT

I am quite liberal - and the definition of being liberal is to be open
minded - so I assume I
was indoctrinating them in my small way - as opposed to the social
studies teacher down
the hall who exposed his students to real "news casts" by Pat
Robertson so his students
would get the correct view of the world.

I'm glad that you pointed out that learning skills and techniques is
necessary and not
separate from what one decides to use those skills for. We need
artists who can think
as well as produce well crafted objects.

                                                                Woody
On Jul 1, 2010, at 8:37 AM, Gayle Parent wrote:

> Well, first, I think I would have to say that I see no more
> divisiveness among art teachers than any other teachers, having been
> both. I just think we all have a position (or perspective) on all
> sorts of things, and that's normal and healthy.
> Personally, I love what you said Woody, about teaching students to
> be open-minded and accepting. Word for word I agree with you. But
> I also like Barb's ideas about art and what should be required of
> the students, and I don't see them as mutually exclusive, unless I
> have misunderstood Barb.
> I'm assuming also that "indoctrinating" the students with your
> leftist views was humor, based on the belief that everyone should be
> open-minded and accepting.
> Gayle

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net