Re: [teacherartexchange] WSJ Article

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2010 - 07:37:23 PDT

I believe that this sort of thing is called "Conceptual Art." The art
is in the concept that gets communicated in a creative way, and it is
acceptable not to have a tangible work of art come out of it. It is
more about the concept and the message conveyed through creative
means. This is a widely respected and accepted field of art, although
it does result in a lot of hand-wringing and head-scratching among art
critics. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceptual_art

I guess if one has to rank it up there with Picasso and Van Gogh and
Hokusai and Mary Cassatt, it's like trying to judge whether a really
good orange or a really good chocolate eclair is more deserving of the
title "food." They come from different places, with different values,
so why even compare them? They're both food.

Rebecca