[teacherartexchange] New teacher Units advice needed!

---------

From: Sue Ossanna (sueossanna_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 30 2009 - 14:02:58 PDT

To all of you wonderful artists and educators out there: Thank you for
being on this web site. I am a new member and I feel for Emmy who wrote
recently along my similar topic. Here's the deal, I have been an elementary
ed. 2nd grade teacher for 17 years. I have my BFA and certification for K-8
Art and elem. Ed. I am just now, this September, embarking on my lifelong
desire to teach art. I will be in 2 schools, K-2 and 3-5. I am feeling
overwhelmed with the task of planning age appropriate units of study.
I keep tetering between "Pick an element such as "Line," and create
different grade level lessons through uses and media OR picking a genre,
like self portrait and create different g.l. lessons with appropriate media
OR anything you experts out there can suggest. I am an artist but the
lesson planning in six levels of art is all new to me. I have explored the
curriculum strands, but I still am left feeling overwhelmed.
Can you help me?
Sue in N.J. and thrilled to be teaching something I love!
P.S. I can't wait till Ken's Book or website come out
P.S.S. Lois Girbino, thank you for sharing Marvin Bartel's website, I think
I spend way too much time there instead of simplifying my first year,
however:)
Sue