[teacherartexchange] Murals- fees?

---------

From: Denise Pannell (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 29 2009 - 19:16:34 PDT

Hello everyone.
I have a dilemna that I hope someone can help me with. I have been asked to paint a fairly extensive mural in a local business and I am not sure how to charge for this service. In the past, I have created murals for the schools I worked in (free), for friends (free or low cost), or friends of friends (small donation). I now have the opportunity to make some actual money and I don't want to make a mistake in my bid- too high and I scare them off- too low and I am cheating myself.

So... do I charge by the hour, including supplies in the fee? How much per hour?
Or, so I base my fee on the entire job and give them a flat fee and hope they realize the amount of work involved? How much? I'd be interested in what some of you have done.

The mural will be of an English cottage/garden on a wall approx. 15 ft. wide. Also, I will be painting some flowers in another, smaller room, but not the entire wall. If you need more information, please let me know.

Please help- I am at a complete loss!!

Thank you in advance.

Denise Pannell