[teacherartexchange] re class room management and start of year emily

---------

From: randy (dmenninghaus_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 26 2009 - 03:42:52 PDT

Emily, When I taught k-8 I found to stay sane I would pick one concept an or one media
and focus on it k-8. Developmentally and conceptually they are at different places. But it
it will make organization easier.

For example WHO AM I? Where do I come from? Where do I want to go? ( thanks Paul Gaugain)
Any facet of this could get you started.
Net search for class ice breakers.

Do you have access to p point & projector? A simple image show of your own life as an artist
could fascinate kids. If it is not long and shows you as a child, your hobbies as a child you as a teen,you in college, you on the day you got the job. This could serve to introduce you to them. You are new, you are not the old teacher, and you will probably do things different.

You will get the " Mrs. so and so didn't do it this way" Think of nonjudgemental responses such as "Yes isn't it great in art that there are many different ways to do something, none wrong or right, just different" It passes.

Since it is a Catholic school be conservative about art images you show Err on the side of asking first regarding "nekkid people" in art work.

Remember with this site, lots of people are on vacation and may not answer questions this time of year cause they aren't reading the list.

Hope this helps.