Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 24, 2009

---------

From: tara franzese (artmuse67_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 13:40:38 PDT

Hi Emmy,
Congratulations on getting a job! I feel your relief..after finishing
up a leave replacement position I just got an art job also. I like to
start the year by having them do a quick folder design on 24 x 36'
manila paper with either a personal logo in black sharpie or a name
design. Its a good way to introduce some of the elements and
principles and to get to know your students at the beginning of the
year. I also use sketchbook assignments throughout the year at the
7th & 8th grade levels so as a good first project we do mini book
making, so instead of them having to buy sketchbooks they can use
those, or if they finish with a project early throughout the year they
can work on decorating/filling their books. No matter what your first
project is, just make sure you review the rules with them or make a
list of rules along with them for the art room and post it for the
year. Also I find that it helps if students have a very clear
understanding of what happens if projects are late, rules aren't
followed, or behavior is inappropriate. I also usually give the upper
level classes a 1 page course syllabus that outlines this,and what the
course is basically about. Hope that helps, good luck and enjoy your
new classroom!!
-Tara