[teacherartexchange] teaching oil painting w/limited classroom space

---------

From: Dulcius (dulcius_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 10:45:36 PDT

Hi everyone -
I will be teaching a high school 2-D class for students that will be
majoring in art. I will only have one section, with about 8 - 10 students.
The rest of my day will be middle schoolers (20 per class) and 2 "art 101"
type classes for h.s. students (18 per class). My room is pretty small,
with minimal storage (8 shelves of flat storage, 4 tall utility shelves
mostly full of supplies, and a rather dreadful old drying rack that
accomadates paper around 20 x 24). I will need to do oil paint for at least
part of the year with these more advanced students, and I've never taught
oils before; it's been a very long time (since college) since I've even used
them myself. So, my main question is, does anyone have any tips or ideas
for storage for supplies, drying canvases, etc. for oils? (any great lesson
ideas would be appreciated too!:0)
Thanks -
Lydia in Toledo
Toledo School for the Arts