Re: [teacherartexchange] Art Teaching abroad

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissaenderle_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 22 2009 - 19:10:53 PDT

Dear Julie (and others interested in overseas teaching):

Maggie has given you some good information. This will be my tenth year
teaching overseas and I plan on continuing doing this for the
foreseeable future.
For teachers wanting to teach overseas for the first time, Iowa's fair
can be a good one, as the schools are more willing to take first-
timers. I have attended that one and the ISS (International School
Services) fair - which is much larger and has more (and larger)
schools. UNI tends to have more schools from Africa, while ISS has a
stronger representation of Asian schools (as well as others around the
world). Another one is Search Associates, which adopts a different
approach. With them, you have a Search representative who tries to
match you up with a school position.
As Maggie stated, I have seen dates get pushed up earlier and earlier
for recruiting - both the job fairs themselves and schools jumping the
gun and hiring before fairs. Two years ago, I already had job
interviews via Skype around Thanksgiving. More and more schools are
going to Skype and/or phone interviews, as they want to snatch
teachers before others do.
Biggest advice: Be flexible and open. If you set your eyes only on one
school or one country, you may leave the job fair disappointed. It's
perfectly fine to decline on places or positions that you are not
interested in - know what you are willing to compromise on and what
would make you uncomfortable/unhappy. Research the schools & country/
city, position requirements, etc. I prefer schools that have a strong
international population (vs. local kids) and are non-profit. Job
benefits vary greatly - you must weigh in the cost of living, shipping
allowance, housing, etc. Ask questions that demonstrate you are
interested and have done your homework.
A good resumé is a must. Prior travel and/or overseas living is
recommended, as the school will want to know that you won't freak out
right away once unfamiliarity is encountered. Again, be flexible.
More and more schools are expecting teachers to have and use
technology skills. Having an online presence or presenting technology-
integrated examples will be helpful.

Hope this helps!

Melissa