[teacherartexchange] planning a ceramic conference on Martha's Vineyard

---------

From: ruth campbell (campbellruthscott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 05 2009 - 20:04:15 PDT

Hi all,
 A long -time goal of mine has been to create a conference particularly aimed
at art educators with a focus on ceramics here on Martha's Vineyard.
Martha's Vineyard is a small island about 8 miles by ferry ( bring a car, or walk on) off
the coast of Massachusetts, about 90 minutes south of Boston.
We have facilities here that would be particularly suited for a conference site,
both for seminars and studio applications.  Many ceramic artists live here that
could be enticed to offer their expertise, as well as teachers of ceramics
that have extensive experience in the classrooms K-12.
Despite MV's reputation as an expensive, upper crust sort of place, we have campgrounds,
high unemployment off season, and a very tolerant and talented population
of year-rounders.  Some galleries are open year round, good public transportation,
etc. Those of us that teach art in the schools know we are fortunate to be
supported by a community that values art, but we still perform the miracles
you all do with very limited budgets.

Send me an email if you would like notification about the conference once
it is fleshed-out. Indicate your grades levels, or anything else we might find useful
in our program creation. Our workshops could cover a full range from wood-fired kilns,
or Raku to small electric firings with underglazes.  We would design this event
to offer choices for all levels participation, and are working on obtaining a choice
of college credit, and certainly PDP's.  Affordable lodging opportunities will be
offered, as well as single-day tripper participation.

thanks for your input,
hopre to hear from you!
Ruth and Scott