[teacherartexchange] Lesson Idea for Paula

---------

From: Amy Broady (abroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 04 2009 - 09:31:49 PDT

Hi, Paula! I hope you won't get discouraged with the group. I do think we
have an easier time responding to a specific topic than a general request.

In reading your recent post, I also realized that I hadn't noticed see your
initial request for lesson plans...so I searched my email to locate it. I
found that it did not have an informative subject; the subject was simply,
"Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: June 30, 2009." I tend
to skip those! It really does help to feature a focused phrase on the
subject line.

That being said, I am an elementary teacher, so I do not have H.S. lesson
plans on hand, but I can make a suggestion. I taught high school for one
year over a decade ago...one thing that I enjoyed at that level was cut
paper. I enjoy it so much, I even teach it to select classes at the upper
elementary level, but high school students can complete extremely
sophisticated cut paper projects. Many cultures have a traditional form of
cut paper art, and designing cut paper artworks is an excellent exercise in
effective use of positive & negative shape.

One contemporary cut paper artist I admire is Beatrice Coron.
http://www.beatricecoron.com/index.html

Other artists to research include Patrick Gannon, Peter Callesen, and Kako
Ueda.

Just Google Cut Paper Art and you will find many resources...there are also
many books out there that feature cut paper designs from various cultures.

Best wishes!
Amy in TN