Re: [teacherartexchange] teaching simple digital photography

---------

From: Deborah Sterner (deborah.sterner_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 03 2009 - 10:48:13 PDT

Interesting read - thank you for sharing

I did a similar project with students shooting the entire alphabet.
It was a side challenge offered on a site I belong to
(www.dpchallenge.com) participants spent a month shooting letters as
they might appear in the environment - picnic tables, tree branches,
architecture were among some of the ideas shared. Once all the
letters are shot and downloaded they are assembled in photoshop using
layers (gimp is a free program that has many of the same functions as
photoshop). Students start with an 8 x 10 canvas as the background
and add layers for each letter as well as a title for their poster.
It was a huge success and grew into students making larger format
posters and printing through Adorama (My account) or Snapfish - there
are lots on Internet printing services.

Another list member offered some wonderful ideas on his site:

http://www.wyckoffschools.org/eisenhower/teachers/olejarz/digitalimaging/index.html
Students had lots of fun with the Straight Photography assignments as
well as manipulating in photoshop.

The Digital Photo Challenge site link might be interesting to peek
into as they are amateurs & pros from all over the world. It's become
a learning site for me. There is nudity on the site, but the
administrators block them from the frontpage. In the few years I have
been using the site, I have never had a student abuse the links - and
I teach 6:1:1 with emotionally disturbed kids with learning and
behavioral disorders.

Other areas of interest for the kids was to learn to use a lightbox
for product shots, motion panning techniques and exploring portrait
shots with the use of homemade (Home Depot) lighting set ups. Light
boxes are made out large boxes (micrwave size), sides cut out and
white paper taped over it.

...just my 2 cents, hoping it might give you some ideas
Deb

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:10 PM, <lamar_art@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Lol. Sorry but I didn't know if there would be enough interest and I didn't want to bog down anyone's mailbox with unwanted emails.
>
> I began working on developing a unit on digital photography when I (through a grant I received for my AP program) was able to acquire 6 digital cameras for my students. I teach in a fairly small school, my AP class had 5 students. All of the students submitted 2D portfolios (our first year to do so) and like many we are anxiously awaiting scores. At the end of the year I was able to acquire 10 additional cameras (I have a very supportive administration) to add another course.
>  I initially toyed with having a year long course but two factors influenced my decision to have a semester long course. The first was that our state already had in place a pre-approved course approval for Studio Art-2D Design although modifying it as a year long course would not have been too difficult. The course description is not specific concerning media, offers a lot of flexibility, but does include the use of a sketchbook which will serve as a journal of idea development, research and analysis.  But the primary reason for making the course a semester class was the number of cameras available. Because our school district has a large percentage of economically distressed students it was unrealistic to expect them to provide their own cameras. Add to this the wide range of options and capabilities of different cameras if they were to provide their own equipment. My intent is to provide each student their own camera to use during the course (after they and their guardian signing a release form, of cou
rse). Offering the course for a semester would double the number of students that could take the class. It is a second year art class and Art I is a requirement.