Re: [teacherartexchange] teaching simple digital photography

---------

lamar_art_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Jul 03 2009 - 10:10:30 PDT

Lol. Sorry but I didn't know if there would be enough interest and I didn't want to bog down anyone's mailbox with unwanted emails.

I began working on developing a unit on digital photography when I (through a grant I received for my AP program) was able to acquire 6 digital cameras for my students. I teach in a fairly small school, my AP class had 5 students. All of the students submitted 2D portfolios (our first year to do so) and like many we are anxiously awaiting scores. At the end of the year I was able to acquire 10 additional cameras (I have a very supportive administration) to add another course.
 I initially toyed with having a year long course but two factors influenced my decision to have a semester long course. The first was that our state already had in place a pre-approved course approval for Studio Art-2D Design although modifying it as a year long course would not have been too difficult. The course description is not specific concerning media, offers a lot of flexibility, but does include the use of a sketchbook which will serve as a journal of idea development, research and analysis. But the primary reason for making the course a semester class was the number of cameras available. Because our school district has a large percentage of economically distressed students it was unrealistic to expect them to provide their own cameras. Add to this the wide range of options and capabilities of different cameras if they were to provide their own equipment. My intent is to provide each student their own camera to use during the course (after they and their guardian signing a release form, of course)
. Offering the course for a semester would double the number of students that could take the class. It is a second year art class and Art I is a requirement.

Right now I am working through a variety of options of what to do during those first few days at the beginning of the class. Like many we have a lot of class changes and trying to come up with lessons that are worthwhile and yet aren't crucial for those students who may join the class after the first few days is giving me a bit of trouble. I will not assign cameras until the class has settled and then hit the ground running at that point. Although we will cover camera settings and options available, my focus will be on teaching my stdents to be more observant and to take photographs that demonstrate deliberate, thoughtful compositions. We will not approach computers and use Photoshop until we have laid a foundation of observation that revolves around the elements and principles.

I will share what will be the first assignment, although I can't take credit for it as it was borrowed/stolen from a lesson my daughter had while taking a photography course at college. Students are to take photographs of objects (no letters allowed) that spell out the word OBSERVE in upper case or lower case letterforms. I have some info about a photographer who has done this type of thing and in fact offers, through a website, words spelled out through imagery and printed for a fee; but it's on my computer at school and I won't be there for a number of weeks. Needless to say, the intent is to make students more aware of shapes and forms in their environment. Subsequent asssignments will focus on line, value, texture, etc.

Best wishes,
Peggy