[teacherartexchange] Scope & Sequence for Art, Middle School

---------

From: John Torr (jctorr_2000_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 20:17:39 PDT

I am teaching Art in a small International School in
indonesia and I have been asked to make up a Scope &
Sequence document for the middle school Art
Curriculum. I am not sure of the best way to go about
it, bearing in mind that the classes are just once a
week and only 1 hour. How much can I fit in and what
should my priorities be in terms of the students
learning?
 Focus is to a large extent put on Math, English and
Science and Art has to take a supporting role in
student's education, and I am loathe to give students
more written work than necessary and would rather
concentrate on actual art activities that allow
students to explore ideas and take pride in producing
finished work. But my view of scope & sequence is that
it incorporates a lot of different issues that may be
hard to fit into such a limited time frame. I would
appreciate ideas and any help as to how I should go
about developing a scope & sequence for my art
department.

John C Torr