Re: [teacherartexchange] whole brain development and art

---------

From: play2cre8 (play2cre8_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 13:26:02 PDT

On Fresh Air today: interview with Michael Gazzaniga - you can also
read an excerpt from his new book:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92944337

We humans have long wondered what separates us from the other animals
— but neuroscientist Michael Gazzaniga may have given the topic more
consideration than most.

Gazzaniga, a pioneer in what's called split-brain research, has just
published Human: The Science Behind What Makes Us Unique. He talks to
Terry Gross about his work, which involves investigating the varying
functions of the left and right sides of our brains, and about how
that research informs our understanding of the brain and human
consciousness.

Gazzaniga has spent the past 45 years studying the functions of the
left and right brain. He's director of the University of
California–Santa Barbara's SAGE Center for the Study of the Mind. He
also serves on the President's Council on Bioethics and is a member of
the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.

In addition to Human, Gazzaniga is also the author of The Ethical Brain.
Ellen