RE: [teacherartexchange] What is your artistic process

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 10:09:57 PDT

Joe,
Here's some stuff that we came up with years ago on this list that might be good as a starting point for your lesson plan (i know this isn't exactly what you meant by your original request - it's a bit of a divergence but it all ties together with the idea of being an artist, the artistic process and how to get yourself going....)

Learning to think like an artist means:

    * looking at things more closely than most people do.
    * finding beauty in everyday things and situations.
    * making new connections between different things and ideas.
    * going beyond ordinary ways of thinking and doing things.
    * looking at things in different ways in order to generate new perspectives.
    * taking risks and exposing yourself to possible failure.
    * arranging things in new and interesting ways.
    * working hard and at the edge of your potential.
    * persisting where others may give up.
    * concentrating your effort and attention for long periods of time.
    * dreaming and fantasizing about things.
    * using old ideas to create new ideas and ways of seeing things.
    * doing something simply because it's interesting and personally challenging to do.

Ways to modify an image or object:
start with an object
*use closure= anything that closes, shuts or goes around something
*multiply=to cause to increase in number, amount, extent, or degree
*superimpose=to put, lay or stack on top of something else
*transpose=to change the usual order or normal position; to interchange
*expand or shrink=to make a great deal larger or a great deal smaller
*distort=to twist out of shape, change the normal form
*focalize=to focus in on a small section or portion
*simplify=to make simpler, make plainer or easier
*disguise=to alter, to hide the real nature of
*fragment=to break up; a part broken away from the whole
*change perspective=to see from a different angle or viewpoint
*metamorphosis=a marked or complete change of character, appearance, condition or use

I made a handout of the above for my students starting with a pumpkin. It was really fun!

Hope this helps.
Cindy