[teacherartexchange] Neuroscience and Art Education

---------

From: Diane Gregory (gregory.diane55_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2008 - 18:12:32 PDT

Hi Guys,

Has anyone heard of the work of Dr. Victoria Stevens on neuroscience, brain research and arts education?
I mention this, because I recently listened to an hour long vod cast in which she talks about how the arts
can stimulate holistic brain development and noble, socially productive behaviors such as empathy, tolerance, compassion,
meaning, purpose, etc. that can eventually lead to less violent, more cooperative, less aggressive behavior. She also talks
about the arts as being an essential part of a major paradigm shift in the way that we think about the nature of
learning. The left brain is good, but the right side gives the entire mind its reason for even thinking in the first place.

Kathy
Douglass mentioned that she noticed how everyone has described a
different artistic process on the list. Dr. Stevens would say that the
arts
bring out diversity and because of this we are more open to
differences in others, less rigid, more tolerant, etc. She indicates
this
is a function of brain development and if children grow up
participating in the arts, the brain develops differently. So
apparently
our civilization has been starving the mind. This is
probably not earth shaking to us artists, but the scientific community
is rapidly
coming around to the arts way of thinking. Unfortunately, this research has had little effect on education.

Sounds
like the arts can greatly humanize the world and there is now brain
research that indicates this is so. So if we can transform our
culture to an arts education culture, then scientifically we can live in greater harmony. Is this too good to be true?

Diane