Re: [teacherartexchange] What is your artistic process

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 27 2008 - 11:47:04 PDT

Joe - I hope this is what you were looking for.

My artistic process:

Yes I use photos as a resource. I'm quite lazy when it comes to
sketching out my ideas ahead of time.
I don't do thumbnails or value studies. I use my camera to seek out
compositions and crop them even
more in my computer. I feel I'm too much of a slave to my photos. I'm
working on that now. I also enhance
the colors in photoshop and filter out some of the details prior to
drawing from my photos. I'm careful to
only use my own photos. I draw directly onto my watercolor paper
which is often stretched tightly over
gatorboard. I work fast and wet in wet in developing my paintings. I
most often paint with a group of
friends. Even though we are each doing our own thing - the energy
seems to feed off of each other.
We critique each other as we work and when we finish. As I paint, I
often shoot pics of my work at
various stages to remind myself of how the image developed. When
asked - my painting buddy
Phil quite often tells me I should have stopped one step earlier. I
love the medium of watercolor
because of the way the pigment interacts with the paper. Often, the
best elements of a watercolor
are the areas which seem to paint themselves. It's learning to take
advantage of the accidental
nature of the medium that keeps me growing.

I take lots of workshops and attend demos to find out more about
watercolor. I pick up ideas
which effect my work little by little. Still - my best ideas come to
me in the shower - perhaps
it's the water.

Here are some steps toward my finished work.
http://www.taospaint.com/StepByStep/ChildrenAndPoppies.html
                                                                                Woody

On Jul 25, 2008, at 1:46 PM, <joe3cox@cox.net> <joe3cox@cox.net> wrote:

> What is your artistic process? I am trying to compile a list of
> different ways to start a piece of art and was hoping for some
> suggestions. For example do you work strictly from observation or
> do you use photos? If you use photos do you take them yourself or
> use images from magazines? If your work is abstract how do you
> start? Do you have a preconceived idea on how the abstract
> painting should look like when finished or is it a complete
> surprise when finished? Please don't just limit this to painting
> but drawing, ceramic, fibers or any art medium.
>
> My propose for this is to create a lesson plan on how artist
> create. How they begin their project. Must students have a hard
> time coming up with ideas on what to create without looking at a
> magazine and copying a famous person or an idol of some kind. So I
> am trying to figure how to address this problem in a lesson.
>
> Plus, what do you do if you are "blocked." You want to create
> something but just can't come up with an idea to put down on paper,
> canvas or whatever you chosen medium is.
>
> Thanks for your help and I look forward to the responses.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Joe

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net