Re: [teacherartexchange] HELP...I Need A Sixth Grade Demo Lesson Plan ASAP

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhite139_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2008 - 18:10:03 PDT

Linda,

If you're not familiar with the Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/, run over there and find zillions
of good ideas in the elementary and middle school sections (under
"Lessons" on the opening page). Off the top of my head, with sixth
graders I've successfully done takeoffs on Michal Austin's "Bad Hair
Day" assignment, the various psychedelic/Op Art/gridded designs (good
math tie-in using compasses and protractors), Larry Prescott's Radial
Designs (another good math tie-in), and my personal favorite, Bunki
Kramer's Matisse cut-paper collage. All of these have a high "wow
quotient," use simple materials, and have specialized vocabulary
(language arts/ESL tie-in), which I like to emphasize. Anything you can
do that ties-in with other subjects helps admin recognize the value of
your program.

Good luck. Whew, what a timeline!

Maggie