RE: [teacherartexchange] Artistic Process and Fear: Questions for the list

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2008 - 07:05:37 PDT

Later inthe presentation the instructor mentioned that when children have abehavioral episode or a big outburst or extreme anxiety about an event itwill take 90 minutes for their brain to cool down to a point where they canlearn again. I really sat up when I heard that because I had justexperienced it!This was a great learning experience for me.Cindy

To this point, I teach puppetry, and after having built their puppets, they put on a production (which they practice for). I have all of the performances on the same day, and video them. We look at the video a couple of days later, after everyone catches their breath from the anxiety of performing. Quite frequently the students are surprised at their performances (which usually take less than 5 minutes) because "it went by so quickly", and of course when they perform they can't see themselves. But, like Cindy, I too, know the "brain drain" of the performance anxiety, when, as the performer, you wonder where it all went so quickly, as you relive every moment in slow motion.

San D