RE: [teacherartexchange] Artistic Process and Fear: Questions for the list

---------

From: familyerickson (familyerickson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2008 - 06:52:08 PDT

This summer I took an education course which required us to do a number of
things. One of "fun" things was learning and performing a very complicated
line dance with lots of turns, hand motions etc. We did this very quickly.
I was way behind on the learning curve and am "coordination challenged"
anyway. Emotionally I went into almost an anxiety attack when forced to
perform. It made me really think about what kind of pressure I put on my
students to "perform" art and do I really allow them the time to go thru the
artistic process at their own pace based on their own comfort level?
After the performance we went back to our classroom and our teachers began
instruction again. I could not focus or think or really absorb any
material AT ALL for over an hour. I missed the entire lesson. Later in
the presentation the instructor mentioned that when children have a
behavioral episode or a big outburst or extreme anxiety about an event it
will take 90 minutes for their brain to cool down to a point where they can
learn again. I really sat up when I heard that because I had just
experienced it!
This was a great learning experience for me.
Cindy

Checked by AVG.
6:51 AM