Re: [teacherartexchange] What is your artistic process

---------

From: Gayle Parent (gayleparent_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 26 2008 - 06:31:45 PDT

My process is not always the same. I keep a sketchbook of painting
ideas, which come to me at all sorts of random times (in meetings, in
the shower, before I fall asleep at night). Usually I paint from the
ideas that I have sketched out in one of the sketchbooks. The oldest
sketch from which I have made a painting is 20 years old. That is,
20 years from sketch to painting. Other times I paint from the joy
or agony I am experiencing in my life at the time. My images are
usually non-representational, but are occasionally figurative. I
never paint in a highly realistic way, so photographs are seldom
used. If my painting has a human figure in it, I may ask a friend to
strike that pose just long enough to capture the gesture with some
accuracy and believability. I deal with the fear too, though it's
not as bad as it was when I was in my twenties (I'm in my fifties now).

If I am stumped by a problem in the painting, I set the painting
aside where I can see it as I go about my daily doings, and wait for
the answer to come to me. It takes a while, but I don't really have
deadlines (have never shown my work, though I do sell a little).

If I am blocked I go back through my sketchbooks to get my thought
flowing again. It usually works.

I hope this helps.
Gayle