Re: [teacherartexchange] Team Learning

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 12:27:35 PDT

On Jul 21, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Marvin Bartel wrote:

> I see some similarities in our lists, but I think your list is more
> related to the production of art and mine may be more generic to
> teamwork. I will see if I can combine the two lists in some way.
> I think students learn how to develop their strengths and overcome
> their weaknesses when they begin to learn what the attributes that
> succeed look like. Seeing peers that model behaviors that work
> well provides a guide. Having a rubric with a variety of positive
> contributions may help set the tone for team work.
>
> Marvin

Some quick thoughts from me on combining the lists:

I think we have to survey first what kids like and donít like about
group work
How do you like working in groups in other classes? Why/ why not?
What do you think are the optimum conditions for working in a group/
team? How should groups be formed? Why should groups be formed?

Then define why something is best accomplished in a group i.e. a
design problem
(Bringing product from conception through production requires a team
effort.)

What are the steps?
                           Identify
                           Define
                           Explore,
                           Act
                           Look

              What roles are there? (The dreamers, the planners, the
makers, the evaluators)
              How do you resolve conflicts?
              How do you divide the chores?
              Is everybody willing to take responsibility?

Then add Marvinís questions
Who is good at listening?
Who is good at suggesting ideas?
Who is good at asking good questions?
Who is good at keeping our team focused?
Who is good at technical things and skills?
Who is good at composition and design?

I just spent a week in a grad class with lots of group projects. I
always do the same thing. Iím the dreamer, but I also know how to
make it ďdo-able.Ē I donít listen well and I challenge focus. To
put me in another role is only valuable in making me stressed. Iím an
adult and I can force myself, but itís not what is best for the group
effort. Is it any different with kids? If the idea of the group is to
produce something, why would we ever make the roles arbitrary?
We get all this stuff about addressing each studentís learning style,
so why not try to find ways to enhance what is best for the child
instead of trying to spread it out.

Give a couple of simple problems with limited materials to groups.
Evaluate the roles assumed instead of the product. Switch groups and
give more complicated problems. Evaluate the roles again. Let them
pick groups and see what happens.
Put the best together and help them get better at the roles they
gravitate to. Nurture what should be nurtured.

Just some more thoughts
Marvin, can't wait to see how you put this all together and show how
art leads the way, once again, into innovative/critical/creative
thinking processes.

Patty