Re: [teacherartexchange] Team Learning

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2008 - 08:24:52 PDT

>20 Jul 2008, Patty wrote:
. . . .
>So what is the job of the team?
>you figure which kids relate best to which aspects of the learning?
> who gets the gist?
> who is the organizer?
> who dreams?
> and who puts it all together?
>
>teams and groups and peers won't work unless the right combinations are put together
>But there also has to be a sense that it is safe to experiment and maybe fail.

Patty

I like your list. It is the kind of list that would help students understand the benefits of using a team approach. I also had made a list of teamwork ideas. I have used something like this as a team rubric.

Who was good at listening to others on your team? Explain with examples.
Who was good at suggesting ideas for your team? Explain with examples.
Who was good at asking good questions that helped us think? Explain with examples.
Who was good at keeping our team focused and productive? Explain with examples.
Who was good at technical things and skills? Explain with examples.
Who was good at composition and design? Explain with examples.
What ways did you contribute to your team effort? Explain with examples.

I see some similarities in our lists, but I think your list is more related to the production of art and mine may be more generic to teamwork. I will see if I can combine the two lists in some way. I think students learn how to develop their strengths and overcome their weaknesses when they begin to learn what the attributes that succeed look like. Seeing peers that model behaviors that work well provides a guide. Having a rubric with a variety of positive contributions may help set the tone for team work.

Marvin