Re: [teacherartexchange] Team Learning

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 20 2008 - 12:53:57 PDT

  I continue to think about this... I continue to think about how we
learn

I think our memory is connected to emotions, experiences, dreams and
story telling. And, that it only through memory that we create.

When I think about the process of storytelling we
    define the essential experience
   arrange the events into a sequence
  put the key concepts into some way we can recall them -- make
association triggers
  when we tell the story we use a natural language and maybe make-up
some stuff
  and then we amplify the story

So how does this apply to art making?
all the techniques and enhancements DO NOT tell the story -- those
things don't know what the story is about. It's the story we want
to tell that drives.
As humans we love stories. When I display an abstract picture the
first thing asked is "what is it about?" So I think I have to rely
on just how we make associations and memories and how best through
the group each can make a contribution.

So what is the job of the team?
you figure which kids relate best to which aspects of the learning?
       who gets the gist?
       who is the organizer?
       who dreams?
       and who puts it all together?

teams and groups and peers won't work unless the right combinations
are put together
But there also has to be a sense that it is safe to experiment and
maybe fail.

Patty