[teacherartexchange] first day of class activity -

---------

From: play2cre8 (play2cre8_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2008 - 19:32:26 PDT

Paula,
You could set up some challenges that lead to some class discussions -
think of some of the challenges on Top Chef, Project Runway etc... all
have to start with the same materials - or collection of materials and
create something - could be group or individual... then present -
maybe jot down some good comments to look into -

For instance - they could each start with a piece of copier paper -
ask them to create a sculpture using only the paper - no tape, glue,
scissors etc.... give them a short amount of time. Then share in a
large group - they could vote for the best - why is it the best, what
techniques did they use, hopefully there will be some that will give
you the question 'what is sculpture?'

Then break into groups, each has the same collections of materials to
work with - maybe some glue and then you could have a table with some
extras - one time I handed out wire, dowels, screen, washers... then
had some extras on another table - they could add one element from the
table - beads, fabric, just 'extras' -

Same discussions - but you could ask them for specific things they
were looking for when 'grading'...

While it looks like a 'break the ice activity' - you can introduce
rules for group work, questioning, how to offer positive feedback to a
classmate, creating a rubric - what to look for, art vocabulary - and
so on.

For a great illustration - you could have a list of things you want
covered written on the board or chart paper -but hidden from the kids.
 As the kids cover them in class - make sure you reinforce what you
are looking for by writing down in a separate place - then uncover you
list at the end of class - show them what they discovered on their
own....

Basically some guided inquiry - you select their brainstorming to meet
your needs -
Not sure I offered the best explanation - let me know if something
needs clarification -
Ellen