Re: [teacherartexchange] metal art clay

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 14:32:22 PDT

I took a class recently in PMC for my own edification and I'm glad I
did. I think there are some tricks to working with it that I
wouldn't have gotten from reading a book.
And, it is expensive. The price fluctuates daily according to the
price of silver.
As far as teaching:
I don't think it correlates to working with ceramic clay much at
all. Your are not working with "hunks." You are working with
"preciousness." The objectives become different.
Because of the expense I find it prohibitive for large classrooms.
But, I know there are some who make it work in the class. The
plusses are that it is really nontoxic, even the firing, and it
really is silver jewelry without the casting. It's very very cool.
And they are introducing a bronze, which will not cost as much.

Patty