Re: [teacherartexchange] AP STUDIO ART ANYONE?!

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 08:07:27 PDT

So far, I haven't had anyone who passed the AP exam. I just finished
my 2nd year teaching, and I haven't gotten the AP scores for this past
year, yet.

A good friend and mentor told me not to expect anyone to pass the AP
studio art exam (any of them!) the first year or two -- it takes a
while to get a feel for what they're looking for. I submitted three
portfolios this year and feel pretty strongly about them, so we'll
see...

It is a frustrating process. Hang in there.

Oh, and I also have some insider information -- from someone who
actually worked as an AP portfolio juror. You know how we turn those
slide sheets in? You'd think that they project those slides onto a
big wall and look at them, right? Wrong! The slide sheets go on
lightboxes and the jurors are herded past them. They get maybe 30
seconds-1 minute per slide sheet. No projecting! So the pieces that
do the best are ones that look good slide-sized and have enough
contrast to work that small! She showed me examples of really crappy
pieces that looked amazing as slides, and really detailed pieces that
were completely lost at that size! So, keep that in mind.

Becky
Charleston, WV

--
Carpe You Some Diem!