Re: [teacherartexchange] AP STUDIO ART ANYONE?!

---------

From: Ken Schwab (bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 15 2008 - 08:03:28 PDT

I have taught A.P. art since 1986. In that time I have only had 1
student receive a 2, the rest have passed with the majority of
students getting a 4 or 5.

I have retired now but my students last year did very well and I
heard from one already that they got a 5. I helped them shoot the
slides and prepare their portfolio's.

One of the most important things is the concentration project and how
it is worded and how it is completed showing a growth and evidence of
exploration. Start early and I would have given my students a summer
assignment for a sketchbook and writing up some ideas for the
concentration project.

The breadth section has been in progress since they were first in Art
1 and they use a lot of past work in this area. During the year they
will do 7 projects in A.P. sketchbook work and I require that they
take Art 4 as well to give them 6 more works for the year. With the
work from Art 1,2,3,and 4 as well as the A.p class, they usually
select works and not just show everything. Not all the A.P. students
have taken Art 1,2 and 3 but it has worked out pretty good. I
discourage students who have not finished at least Art 2 before their
senior year.

I would be happy to answer questions and help you if you want. I
miss the classroom and I hope I can be some help to you if you want
it.

Ken Schwab
Leigh H.S.
San Jose CA