Fwd: [teacherartexchange] Team Learning

---------

From: play2cre8 (play2cre8_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 05:52:48 PDT

Hi Marvin -
right now I don't use this in my art classes - but I teach an
arts-based literacy class... writing, reading, speaking, listening and
observing (and technology) through the arts - those are the literacy
strands - I was given a 7th grade class 3 days a week and that is what
I decided to do with them.
Last year I started a wiki page for the classes - it has been the best
thing to help teach the students to coach each other. For instance, I
started by posting an image and they had to tell me what they thought
was happening - what was the story being told? I used Christina's
World - they posted their thoughts.
Next stage was posting several images and assigning - then describe
the image using rich and precise language. They again had to post
comments - but they had to find a good example and explain why they
thought it was a good example. i could also find examples and post to
the homepage. The next part was to send an e-mail with constructive
comments to someone that needed to work on their descriptions... I
could monitor their on-line discussions, pull good examples - offer
individual feedback etc...
The great thing was when that nugget of great dialog came through - I
could pull and post for all to see -
The kids have also been peer conferencing with their writing since
primary school - I have handouts that I use when they read someone
else's writing - or they evaluate someone's artwork. The handout's are
based on the rubric - it includes a checklist of things I am looking
for and a place to elaborate.
If they can identify it in someone else's writing, hopefully that will
transfer over to their own.
I plan to make more of an effort to use the wiki with my 8th graders.
I only have them once a week and it is more difficult to get everyone
active - but my 8th grade art students are my former 7th grade
literacy class - so the base it there.
I hope to use a voicethread for comments and conferencing too - they
enjoyed using them last year.
All wikis and voicethreads are closed to the public - nothing is
published... and I can invite outsiders if I want.
Some of the quietest kids had the most profound things to say and we
would have missed them because of their comfort level and speaking in
front of peers.
Ellen