Fwd: [teacherartexchange] Team Learning

---------

From: play2cre8 (play2cre8_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 05:52:10 PDT

> Hi Barbara - ahhhh - the focus on clutter. Been there - think I am going to have a harder time with our new principal... it makes him physically ill - and 25+ years ago I was written up for having one cardboard box in the room - seems it created discipline problems. (Those were her words)

I love the description of your unit - and what initiative to make it
happen on your own -
Our 7th graders do a large architecture unit - it started with the
math teacher. When she came to the school she brought a lesson that
she does with her class with help from a parent volunteer (architect).
 It spans several months and they make house models in her class - as
well as display boards with specs/carpet/paint etc...
Last year she wrote a grant with the Spanish teacher to integrate math
and humanities. Our Spanish teacher is a HUGE arts supporter - it is
the driving force in her classes (she is extremely knowledgeable, and
I have to say our scores probably would drop if it weren't for her
involvement in supporting what the arts teachers do). They did quite
a bit in and around the larger city - walks, studies etc.
At the same time, the art teacher that has 7th grade does clay house
projects with the kids. They take months - some are very whimsical,
some more realistic (last year one of the kids did a cathedral with
demons on one side and angels on the others) Most have a 12" x 18"
base, and several are at least 18" high.
Right now the problem is the math teacher is too left brained, and the
art teacher too right brained and both are too possessive of their
projects to compromise to collaborate and make it outstanding for the
kids - especially for the kids and the amount of time involved.
But - if there is a classroom teacher you could work with there may
be money from math or science foundations -
Sounds like a great unit -
Ellen