RE: [teacherartexchange] Team Learning

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (watercolorwiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2008 - 04:20:10 PDT

Patty:
If I got to teach high school, and the solitary student was at all into
reading, I'd have the kid read Ted Orland's View from the Studio Door, which
discusses the solitary and communal paths in art. I'd start with class-wide
critiques which would lead into the small ones, as you discussed. I might
direct them to lower-level classes (art 2 student works with art 1 student),
again referencing your earlier discussion about teaching. At any of these
steps, I'd back off if I sensed the kid resisting.
Maggie in Tennessee

So my question is-- Art has always been considered a solitary
pursuit, It's individual. It's sometimes consuming. How do I
compensate for the student that wants no part of the group -- because
that would have been me.

Patty