Re:[teacherartexchange] Team Learning

---------

From: June Covington (jcovington2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 12 2008 - 07:33:55 PDT

Marvin,

I teach at a small private school where I teach grades 3- 12. I use
the expertise of my students to help other students constantly. I
know that is not exactly team learning. When we do art history I like
to make the work interactive by handing small groups packets to
explore. Some times I have them prepare 10- 15 minute presentations
for the enclosed materials. This is shameless stolen from the Dallas
Museum of Art Education Department.

  When the Ninth graders complete their (very open ended, btw)
biography of an artist assignment they meet with the fourth grade
classes to share their finished project. This year the speech teacher
plans to assign a multimedia presentation about the selected artist
which the fourth graders will get to see and critique. If you would
like I can locate the lesson plan and email it to you.

Because of my schedule, I often have independent studies students in
the room at the same time as a Lower or MIddle School class. I will
call on the older student to guide a younger one (and vice versa) when
ever possible. It helps me see how well the students are absorbing
information.

June Covington
Art Instructor
CAnterbury Episcopal School