RE:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 30, 2007

---------

From: carl toonz (carltoonz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2007 - 05:44:17 PDT

Hello all:
Are you aware that there are at least three types of clowns? Therefore, they
don't all look the same. For the most part they use make up to exaggerate
and elicit humor in people. Here are the types of clowns:
1. Hobo or tramp, with worn out clothes, painted on beards and sad faces;
examples include Emmett Kelly, Red Skelton, etc., Usually the smarter clown
with a wry sense of humor.
2. Classic or whiteface: a typically European influenced clown, sometimes
includes mimes like Marcel Marcieu, Charlie Chaplin and Harpo Marx (who did
not wear heavy make up) and Ronald McDonald. Often a sly magician, or
sleight of hand expert.
3. Auguste clown, who wear much less make-up, using colors such as red,
peach, orange, etc., instead of all white. They usually accent their mouths
and eyes though and wear bright colored wigs. Usually the buffoon or clumsy
clown. Bozo, Lou Jacobs (the big gangling clown with his little dog that
climbed out of that tiny car of his) are examples of Auguste clowns.
However, there are sub-categories of each of these types. To learn more
about the fascinating world of clowns go to the Clowns of America
International or the World Clown Association websites.
Clowning is alive and well and it is another art form, next to painting,
dance or music. I hope this has been informative and interesting. It is not
so easy to lump all "clowns" together in any one category and dismiss them
because "you" don't like the way they look. Thanks for bearing with me!
Sloopy Da Clown