[teacherartexchange] on Paper batiking

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2007 - 03:38:49 PDT

Marsha from Ohio asked more off list about paper batiking. Here is what I
suggested.

Yard sale for frying pans. Think about your age group. I place them so no
one can trip over a cord. I even duct tape the extension cords to the
floor. Buy bees wax in your supply catalog. Maybe three pounds to get
started. I buy the paraffin wax in our grocery store in the canning
section, but you need that as well. Paraffin needs a lowered melting temp.
Melt both together 1 part bees to 2 or 3 parts paraffin. Set heat control
at about 200 220 and let all wax melt. The way to test if the heat is
right is to dip brush in let it get soft scrap excess wax off and quickly
make marks on the paper you intend to use. I count to 4 in my head than
reheat the brush in the wax. The wax should turn paper an oily color and
NOT spread too broadly. SPREADING= too hot heat. White and ca key on top
means it is not sealed into paper. I use dippity dye paper. It is great for
batik. Rice paper works as well.

Choose some natural fibre brushes. Ones that are about #3-#8. They will
never work in any other medium after you dip them into wax. We use
tjantings, only the small tipped ones. You could buy one and try it. With
you age group I think they would spend too much time pretending it is a
hash pipe ore tapping the end until it breaks. LOL.( two common events with
immature H S students)

Hmm keep wax away from liquids at another table. Stress no liquids in the
wax.

I try to do the application of liquid color on a separate day. Use water
colors, colored inks, I even have taken tye dye dyes and diluted them and
sued them. When applying ink. Have art on newspaper and STRESS not moving
the art around. Apply color. When done some of my students take toilet
paper and gently blot off and beads of dyes sitting on the wax. Sometimes
they will get into final design when you iron them.

Ironing is smelllllllly. Try for open windows or a fan. Using a medium
dry iron and adult supervision.... lay the paper between two layers of
newspaper below and above. iron. than remove the paper. Lay clean down.
Iron some more. If art sticks to newspaper don't pull lay newspaper down
and reheat that it will release.

Aesthetically I don't like the thin grease lines that edge some areas. So
before Ironing I will have my students cover the dry colored areas with wax
to give a uniform color.

Wax tends to resist glues so for display we would discreetly staple the art
to a white paper backing than Matt from there.

supply list needed:
fry pans or crock pots for wax extension cords.
bees wax
paraffin wax
natural fiber brushes and tjantings( metal tool used to dispense fine lines
of wax
waters colors or colored inks
dippity dye paper or rice paper.
table protection that is saf