re:[teacherartexchange] Removing oil stains from drawing and watercolor paper?

---------

From: Jeannie (jean1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2007 - 06:03:28 PDT

Subject: Removing oil stains from drawing and watercolor paper?

While the chocolate didn't stain the drawings, per se, an oily residue
did. The stains are on the edges of the artwork, so in a worst case
scenario, Crystal can crop the drawings and watercolors, but she's
hoping that someone will know if there's ANY way to safely remove the
stains.

I had this happen too. I set a collage to be framed in the middle of
my desk thinking it would be safe there until I returned to my school.
But a birthday boy brought me a cupcake which sat in the center of the
collage for a day before I returned. Big oily stain. I was told to
try white chalk powder for 45 minutes, then use the tip of a hot iron
on the chalk, encouraging the chalk to soak up the oil. I did it a few
times. There was some absorbtion, but the picture was not frameable.
I knew the oily residue would change and oxidize over time.

Jeannie in PA, k - 5