[teacherartexchange] Finally Employed!

---------

From: leah rachlis (leah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2007 - 07:43:46 PDT

Hi All,

I have not written too much lately - but I have followed the digest. I
finished the certification portion of my Master Program last spring, and I
am now a "Certified" to teach K-12 Art in the great state of Colorado. With
that process complete, I proudly and perhaps somewhat prematurely resigned
from my position of 5 year with the Charter School that had me teaching on a
I'd had enough of.

So, I now know, that the leap - is the easiest part of the leap of faith, I
planned it, rehearsed it - fanaticized it - and finally did it, on June
first. Since then I have had probably a dozen interviews, and applied for
twice that many Art positions with-in the 30 miles of my home. The sense of
"free-floating" not having an art room was the worst, having all my personal
supplies packed away was tough, but the emotional rollercoaster of
hopefulness and disappointment has been exhausting.

In my Naivet? - I turned down a position early in the summer, it was another
charter school, and it was K-5 in a school that does not yet have a
building. They were supposed to open last year and did not, and I was
concerned that I would commit and stop looking, and perhaps they would not
open again, I also don't want to get pigeon-holed as a charter school
teacher.

And, school starts in 2 weeks here - at least that is the teacher work week.
Last week I accepted a .6 position with a home school program within the
district, I will work 3 days a week and make only slightly less than I made
working at the charter school - it is a one year position, which puts me
back in the same boat next summer. But I will be working for the district so
I will be eligible for in-district transfers, which are listed much sooner
to district employees.

So - that's my story - I spent the last 2 weeks taking the on-line course
offered by the MET, the call came in while we were in a "Live" session,
there were so many folks there from this list, I felt like I had already
shared my good news. But I wanted to let everyone else know too!

This list is a tremendous resource, I can not imagine teaching (anything)
without the internet - or art without this list!

Leah, in Colorado - with an art room (for this year anyway!)