[teacherartexchange] Digital Photography for 1st - 8th grade

---------

From: Kimberly Hutts (kimberly_hutts_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 12:30:50 PDT

Sorry about the other two messages. I wasn't sure that they were going through. Randy helped me out by confirming that my messages made it to the list. Thanks Randy.

I teach art to 1st - 8th graders at a catholic school in IL. We had funds left over from art club and I managed to get permission from my principal to allow me to use that money to purchase digital cameras for the art program. We now have three Samsung S630 digital camera that my students will be able to use. I attended a photography workshop at the Art Institute of Chicago and got a lot of good ideas for photo lessons but I'm not sure if they will be too challenging for my students or not. There are also some logistical questions that I have not found the answers to yet.

1) I'm concerned about how to get my students' photos downloaded quickly and efficiently. Currently I only have one student computer in the art room, but might be getting a second this year. We have two very nice computer labs in the school, but they are not always available for other teachers to use.

2) Obviously, with just 3 camera for up to 30 students, there are not enough cameras for everyone to be taking photos at the same time. I have not fully committed to using centers all the time yet so I'm a little concerned about how to coordinate it so that everyone gets a chance to use the cameras to create a work of art without having to constantly reteach the lesson objectives and having one lesson take all year.

3) The cameras use AA batteries and they seem to suck them dry a bit faster than I would like for them to. I am planning to purchase rechargeable batteries. Does anyone have other suggestions or advice on this?

4) Of course I am also looking for lesson ideas that would be suitable for 1st - 8th grade students. I'm not sure yet it I will have access to Photoshop.

5) I would like to offer my students the option to save and print their photos, but the expense seems daunting. I considered having them to bring in CDs, USB sticks, or other devices to save their photos on. They could then take their pictures to most photos centers to get prints made if they really want them. For classroom purposes I am planning to have them incorporate the photos into slide shows or PowerPoint presentations. I may also, for some lessons, have prints made of a few of their photos.

If any of you have suggestions I would love to hear them. I'm hoping that I will be able to smoothly integrate these new tools and lessons into my curriculum. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sincerely,
Kimberly