Re: [teacherartexchange] Technology in Art Education

---------

From: Jeff Pridie (jeffpridie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2007 - 05:21:10 PDT

Della,

> Is money an issue when it comes to technology in the
classroom?

All districts have budgets for technology of some
kind. Some districts strictly budget yearly amounts
for specific technology needs: software, hardware,
tech support, training. Some districts handle
individual departments technology needs like they do
textbooks, put them on a rotation schedule. Some
districts it is a first come first served process.
While other districts ask teachers to submit proposals
to the district technology committees for technology
needs.

The key many times to get what you want is to know
what your needs are and what you plan to do with it.
Know how it will make your students better learners
and sorry to say how can it connect to "No Child Left
Behind".

> Is there a lack of education for art teachers on how
it can be used in an art classroom?

No, there is a large pool of information (books,
articles), workshops,curriculums,lessons, and
tutorials (online) for art teachers to use technology
in the classroom. As far as pre-service teachers
there is a lack in some of the Art Education classes
throughout the country on how to integrate technology
in the art classroom. Having taught art teachers in
the use of technology in the classroom I have found
that it boils down to the teachers comfort level with
technology and as one teacher put it, "Adding one more
thing to the plate."

> Are there enough great programs out there for art
teachers to use effectively?

There are more then enough programs out there. The
problem is having time to sit down and becoming
familiar with it is the biggest complaint I hear from
art teachers . There are drawing programs, painting
programs, animation programs, art history programs
etc.

Technology in the classroom just as the textbook,
pencil, pen, paper, overhead is a tool. The teacher
has to ask how can the technology benefit the students
learning and move from there to developing a
curriculum that integrates those possibilities.

I personally cannot imagine teaching without it. The
ability of the instant research for students, putting
together presentations, giving students the ability to
manipulate photos, create animations, video editing,
communicating with other students, presenting art work
around the world.

Jeff (Minnesota)