Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: July 18, 2007

---------

From: Tracey Smith (tracey_smith_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2007 - 05:10:37 PDT

=20
How are your classes scheduled? (block, daily, trimester rotation, etc.)90
minutes every other day for 1 semester

How often does your curriculum connect with other subjects (i.e.
history/English, etc.) I try to relate projects to what the students are
doing in their core classes. However, I don't teach all of the students
and all of my students aren't doing the same things in their core
subjects.
What are the art requirements for your school?We have a band teacher and
myself-we see, between us about 60% of the students in the course of a
year. There are no "requirements".
Do you have an art club?yes
Do you assign homework such as sketchbook projects or...? No homework, but
students are given the opportunity to take things home to complete them if
they want or need to. I do have a sketchbook requirement with 'warm-ups'
daily and other sketch projects throughout the semester.
What grades are included in your middle school? 6-7-8
Does the curriculum build upon preceding years or is each year
independent of the others?Independent
Do you participate in competitions and/or exhibits outside of school?
yes-Art Olympics 1x/year
Are you public or private? public
How do you assess?effort, craftsmanship, answering the basic art
problem/question correctly.

Tracey Smith

Art Teacher

Albemarle Middle School

"It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative
expression and knowledge"...Albert Einstein

"Art is much less important than life, but what a poor life without
it."...Robert Motherwell