Re: [teacherartexchange] Technology in Art Education

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2007 - 19:37:18 PDT

Greetings Della,

You will find a lot of responses to your question on Art Education 2.0
Sign up and browse the forum and blogs. The community was set up by
Dr. Craig Roland:
http://arted20.ning.com/
All of the members of Art Education 2.0 are using technology in the
classroom (well, except for me as I am retired).

You will also want to view Dr. Roland's technology survey.
http://www.artjunction.org/atgi/teachers/Internet_survey.html

He did another one this past year, but has not published the results.

I did my master's research on technology in the classroom. I focused
on hypermedia. I created my own web site and Internet lesson to use.
That is how Incredible Art Resources was "born". I created the African
Art Internet Lesson for my project.

I could go on and on how I used technology - but I have been out of
the classroom for several years now. Folks are doing a lot "cooler"
stuff now (smile).

Once you sign up on Art Education 2.0 (if you do). Be sure to drop
Tricia Fuglestad and Cynthia Gaub a line.

Some thoughts:

> Is money an issue when it comes to technology in the
> classroom?

My school had a technology grant which was great! I could get what I
needed for my program. Special projects were more likely to be
approved if they used technology.

> Is there a lack of education for art teachers on how
> it can be used in an art classroom?

The education and workshops are available for the picking. It is up to
the individual teacher to insure he or she is educated. This
technology wasn't around when I did my undergrad (back in the 70's). I
made it a point to learn the software to keep up. I never did learn
animation - but that would have been my next step in my Art Tech
class. We made the clay figures - just never animated them.

> Are there enough great programs out there for art
> teachers to use effectively?

We are fortunate - there is an over abundance of programs for art. It
is up to the teacher to review the programs and select what is best
for his/her students. Art teachers can not depend on tech wizard to
select programs for the art department.

Good luck with your master's degree.

Regards,

Judy Decker