Re:[teacherartexchange] nudity in art teaching US vs Europe

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (henneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2007 - 22:02:28 PDT

        From: henneborn@mac.com
        Subject: Re: nudity in art teaching US vs Europe
        Date: July 15, 2007 1:00:45 AM EDT
        To: henneborn@mac.com

I tried to set up my approach to the subject as safely as possible.
Nothing is gained by shocking the students or community. If I got
fired there goes my influence & income. I made sure I opened the
subject when I had a student teacher in class with me in case I was
challenged. I never was.

I started with Matisse's paper cut figures. Never failed that
someone would ask or mention that these were naked. "Well, what do
you think? They are pieces of cut paper." On goes the discussion
until I ask, "I notice that some of you are very comfortable with
the discussion & the art work of the cut paper figures and some are
not comfortable. What do you suppose is the difference in the
reactions?" Most delightful response came from a 2nd grade girl.
"I think some people confuse the sex thing with the art thing."

YES! THEY DO!!!

A story of 4 1st grade boys - One was new. They were looking at a
book together & opened to a nude. It was Rodin's Balzac. I am
hoping that what we discuss with Matisse carries over to other work.
New kid started to giggle. Other boys called me over. "Can you help
him. He hasn't learned what to look for in this art work so he isn't
comfortable?" Then one of them said, "Geeze, this is one ugly man!"

I love kids!
Sharon ~ NJ