Re: Re: [teacherartexchange] nudity in art teaching US vs Europe

---------

rpopek_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Jul 14 2007 - 15:49:06 PDT

I think it's mostly because we americans have come from puritans and frankly not that long ago. This country is only 200 or so years old. Really not a lot in the grand scheme of things. Europe has several hundred years of time ahead of us and a vast amount of art work that's been in the public eye for that time. If it's in front of you every day and has been for several hundreds of years it's no big deal. We have no experince with that in this country and certainly no nudes that existed prior to the beginnings of us being in this land. This country is still evolving and we'll get there eventually. You would think an educated public would become more lenient but it appears that's not the case. Many are still ingrained with that puritan attitude. Look how far europe is ahead of us in birth control. When my mother came here in 1960 she could not get the birth control she used to get when she lived in the Netherlands. She had already had two children at home (deliverys were not in the hospital) with no medicati
on and they wanted to sedate her(not just pain killers but sedation)for the third one here in this country. When she refused the Doctor was so upset but after the birth he was quoted as saying in the delivery room. "See that's how it should be done, natural."
My father had witnessed both my sister and I being born but was prevented from being with my mother here in the US. We really are just behind the times.
Renee