Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] Student Gardens

---------

From: Amy Broady (AmyBroady_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2007 - 08:16:27 PDT

Hello, Michal, and all.

Michal, thanks for the info on the trash cans and stepping stones--I'm
printing and filing those directions..in a couple of places, at both home
and school, so I will be able to locate them when I need them, and will run
across them frequently to keep the ideas fresh in my mind. :-)

I'm enjoying all the messages on the gardens...Thank you to whomever started
this discussion; I am getting inspired. My art room has doors that open into
a corner of the playground courtyard. One of the PTA parents created some
beds in the back corners with stella dora lilies and dogwood trees, but they
have not been well-maintained. (The parent who planted them did so as one of
her final contributions before her youngest moved on to the middle school.
We sure miss that mom--she was a wonderful blessing to the school for many
years.) Unfortunately the kids tend to abuse the plants; I'm often having to
assume the role of the Lorax and speak for the poor young trees--the student
tend to hang on them and break things off, and they mutilated the lily
leaves. They look dumbfounded when I go out and tell them not to destroy the
plants. Why aren't their teachers looking out for this????? (Our teachers
are the ones who supervise recess.) I tell them that when they pick parts of
the plants, a FEW of them might be having fun for a SHORT while, but they
destroy beauty that EVERYONE should be able to enjoy for a LONG time.

I am terrible with plants, but I do love to bask in a leafy setting. Maybe I
could recruit some green-thumbed parents to help me develop an art garden. I
love the idea of a mosaic bench, and maybe even a table.OH! How I'd love to
establish a creative gazebo or arch or bridge or some other nifty structure!
In my dream world, there'd be a lush garden in bloom that the students could
have access to during class to draw/paint from. I attended a wonderful
session at NAEA presented by two teachers, at least one from Florida, who
did AMAZING things with their students and parent volunteers.

Best wishes to all of you who are going to pursue gardens with your students
this year. :-) And thank you to all of you who post questions and share
ideas regarding this topic with the group.

Amy in TN