[teacherartexchange] Fw: Books for Elem Art

---------

From: Sarah Deacon (sdeaconart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2007 - 05:44:02 PDT

Subject: Books for Elem Art

Another tried and true book I used for introducing color mixing with K and 1
students is "Little Yellow and Little Blue" by Leo Lionni.

I love the book "Prudy's Problem and How She Solved it" by Carey
Armstrong-Ellis as an intro to why people collect and what art museums are
all about. I had my students design and create "mini museums" with tagboard
scraps. We used the tiny art reproductions from all the catalogs, drew
frames around them, added architectural elements, etc. It was fun to see
how the kids would organize their art in their museums.

I also used the book "Tar Beach" by Faith Ringgold all the time for
narrative art, quilts, story telling, etc.

Best of luck with your elem experience... I now teach middle school art
after many years at the elementary level.

Sarah in MD

Sarah Deacon
Calligraphy and Custom Artwork
www.sarahdeacon.com<http://www.sarahdeacon.com/>