[teacherartexchange] Student Gardens

---------

From: Marybeth Bortzfield (zbort_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2007 - 10:16:11 PDT

Hi All,

I just had an informal meeting with my new Principal and he has some
exciting future plans for our elementary school (K-5).

One idea he focused on was installing a student garden with public artwork.
I do not have any experience creating a public garden, can anyone offer some
ideas to me please? Materials used, basic plan, etc. He has a sculpture
background (yeah!) and he mentioned found object sculpture.

In addition to that I'm thinking mosaic benches, a path with student made
stepping stones, butterfly garden, bird-bath, my Principal mentioned a
pond - possibly rocks to sit upon to write and draw. I don't know how big
he is thinking but I want to have some ideas sketched out before September.

My mind is filled with images, but I'm not sure how to make them all work.

Thanks for the ideas!

mb