Re: [teacherartexchange] nudity in art teaching US vs Europe

---------

From: Mikel Lee (mikellee31_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 10:04:52 PDT

--- ejb35@columbiau

> I can't help noticing the difference in how kids
> react to nudity
> over there. No big deal. Kids go to the Accademia
> and draw the
> David complete with genitals. No big deal. Second
> graders
> adolescents........
> So I wonder. What is it that makes it so different
> here in the U.S.

I think it is our puritan background and our tight
bible belt. We think nudity= fornication. I also
think the majority of our country is not as exposed to
art as Europeans. Growing up in OK, the only museums
we had nearby were American Indian, great plains,
pioneer, and military types- and everyone had their
clothes on! The only paintings we saw were landscapes,
and still lifes on the walls of restaraunts and
hotels. (not to mention the Last Supper painting we
had in the dining room:)

When I got in college we traveled to Dallas and Ft.
Worth to go to the museums and that was the first time
most of us art majors had ever seen real "famous" art
work other than in a book or poster.

We are the same with alcohol and other
vices...prohibit, outlaw, shield the public... There
are still dry counties around here!

Just my 2 cents,
Mikel in OK