[teacherartexchange] Art Bus

---------

From: Michele Dailey (mdailey_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2007 - 11:09:49 PDT

Wow! What a great opportunity for design. The old hippie in me is excited
about a bus. Can the kids paint the bus? It would be a good opportunity
for the community to see the changes in the art curriculum as the year goes
by if you could have each group take a turn painting the bus or doing
advertisements on the sides of the bus. Usually the buses have storage
compartments on the sides of the bus under the seats. That would be a great
place for some storage.

Your students who are physically and mentally challenged will come with a
para hopefully. If they are that severe it will usually be a one on one
para who will help them. I have always had the kids do the same exact
lesson as my other students. Depending on the child, I usually have a
shoebox system all set up for them with everything in sections and pre-made
so that the child can put it together with little or no help. Sometimes I
have been able to have the help from older students to help with this class
if they are available. At some schools you can get these kids resourced
into the regular ed classroom. There are always kids in the class willing
to help them. At least at my schools there have always been great helpers.

I have a special shoe box for each of these special kiddos that I have
designed especially for them with their name on it. I know space is a
problem. I was on a cart for years so I know. I have one of those folding
roller carts that you see in magazines that I keep all of their stuff in. I
got it at Staples. This way all of their stuff is in one cart and I just
keep it in my car.

I find that my elementary kids are totally enthusiastic about art. They can
do whatever the older kids can do with a twist perhaps. Good luck.

Michele