Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Art History Curriculum

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2007 - 09:57:50 PDT

Greetings Clare,

I doubt you will find anyone who can hand over their Art History
curriculum (smile).
Hours - days - weeks - have gone into preparation.

Here are some helpful resources:
Download the pdf file - there are suggested resources.
check out these lessons.... to go with the Art History text by Marilyn Stokstad.

Get your hands on Crystal Productions catalog and Art Video World
catalog. You will find many posters and videos from which to choose. I
really like the Sister Wendy series for history of painting... but
some don't care for her.

Of course, Chris Witcombe's links are an excellent resource, too:

and Metropolitan Museum of Art timeline:

You might also find this resource helpful:

You might consider teaching in themes....
Great Themes:

Here is another good resource from National Gallery of Art:
Exploring Themes in American Art - Abstraction, the figure, historical
subjects, landscapes, still life, portraits, narrative art and so much

You can carry those themes across cultures and time periods too.

Additional Art History links:

Kevan Nitzberg is an "expert" in high school art history.... If you
still need help after viewing the resources listed, let me know and I
will contact him.

Judy Decker

> > Any ideas where I can find a curriculum for
> > teaching art History to High
> > School students? I hate to reinvent the wheel.
> > Thanks all.
> > Clare in Santa Clara, CA.

To unsubscribe go to