RE: [teacherartexchange] panic... and it's only July

---------

pknott_6_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Jul 06 2007 - 11:43:37 PDT

From: "KPRS2" <kprs2@earthlink.net>

> reverse your problem and make it a challenge. Ask yourself if I had the
> luxury of working in alternative materials that cost next to nothing, what
> would I work in?

I love San D's last comment. I am, in fact, pondering a course proposal
-- Recycled and Rethought-- which would be all about using found materials to
make new structures. It would also focus on how groups and/or teams can use the
found to create works for permanent display - real or virtual. As I cruise
around the web and look at all the outlets for art making, I'm wondering how
much the personal possession matters to the young ones. All they seem to care
about, is posting some nonsense. They have you tube and flickers and my spaces
all over the place and it seems to me all they care about is a place for
"others" to see what they can come up, no matter how silly or "unartful." I'm
trying to take that sense of need for recogition and determine just how much I
have to deal with materials. If I can find a way to take the "whatever" and make
it something of pride, then maybe I'm on the road to where we have to go in art
ed.

and, I'm also thinking about how I really teach how art "serves."
We are dealing with a generation that should be more than aware of waste, yet I
find they waste more than any. The talk big about ecological problems but seem
helpless with solutions. I'm having a hard time dealing with traditional art
materials that require specific disposals. So what is trash?

My favorite day is Wednesday and every Wednesday I announce -- "it's trash day;
keep your eye out!" I am the queen of dumpster diving and I' m always pulling
stuff from the trash and asking the Big Question? What could this become?
We can teach everything there is to know about the E's and P's from trash as well
as expensive materials. I'm thinking I'd rather teach about recycling than
worrying about what to do with stuff I don't know how to get rid of, or spend too much money on in a limited budget.

a little story...
I have a belt I got from NOVICA made from can pull tops. Every time I wear this
belt, I get dozens of comments-- "that's made from pull tops...did you make it?"
No, but let me tell you how someone in Brazil thought to use this "throwaway" to
make a product. "

Marcel DuChamp is my hero.

and, I have to say my kids remember and regard the junk much more than the expensive materials.
Yes,
make it their challenge-- what can you make from nothing?

Patty
who had depression era parents who KNEW how to make something from nothing